Friday, August 29, 2008

Opportunity Knocked

I had a wonderful opportunity this week to share my heart for GOD with Bryan...

On Wednesday night, as I pulled into the driveway I heard HIM whisper "Put on love, Abby. Put on love right now." I brushed it off and HE kept whispering "Abby, I need you to put on love."

I ignored HIM.

I walked into the house, and within five minutes I found myself arguing with Bryan and madder than a cat in a rainstorm. You want to know what we argued about? Nothing! We argued over nothing! He had forgotten to do something I asked him to do. It wasn't crucial or even necessary, and he just forgot. And I flew off the handle.

Very quietly, I heard HIM speak to me again. "Abby, I asked you to put on love. What will he see now?"

By this point, we were sitting at the kitchen table and I had calmed down. Bryan was telling me about his day, and my heart was just overwhelmed with conviction. I started crying. Bryan, of course, thinks that I'm upset with him again. (By the way, through all of this he was very patient and apologetic over the "nothing" business.)

When I was able to cut the crying down to a sniffle, I shared my story with him and the verse I felt like GOD has "given" us...

Colossians 3:12-13 (NASB) And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

Colossians 3:14 (NASB) And beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

He listened, smiled and told me that he understood why I was upset. He also told me he didn't know what to think of GOD speaking to me, but that he liked "our" verse. I told him I wanted to put it inside our wedding bands (or at least mine) to be a reminder for both of us to put on love in everything that we do.

I continue to pray for these opportunities, although hopefully next time I'll listen when HE starts whispering in my ear.


5 comments:

Danger Chris said...

Abby, it has been driving me up the wall. Someone referred to their yokee/significant other as, "my dh" and I have been trying to figure out what a "DH" might stand for. I've tried some really abnormal word pairings. Save me from myself.

I'm glad you're getting stuff down in writing. Have you looked at the full chapter of Colossians 3, I find that helps me once a smaller section gets stuck in my head. Context and all that.

Abby said...

My "dear" husband....

:-)

Dee said...

"Put on Love" thanks for this Abby. It has blessed me today.


Dee/from 1Peter3

Danger Chris said...

That's not as exciting as I had made it. Jennie didn't know what it was, which means she's not calling me her "DH". That's got to change.

Unknown said...

Abby,

Thinking about you.... This scripture is so powerful. YOu are in my thoughts and prayers. Beautiful....